If you are looking to get the best performance out of your product, our composite part design services can help! Composites are widely used and valued in aerospace, energy, civil engineering, defense, automobile, sports equipment, and other industries. With unmatched properties, composites deliver exceptional performance.
Composites consist of two or more materials that when combined produce a material with desirable properties different from the individual materials. Composite materials include advanced composite materials (ACMs), reinforced plastics, ceramic matrix composites, metal matrix composites, reinforced concrete, and engineered wood.
Types of Composite Materials
Our Design Engineers have experience with designing composite components using the following advanced composite materials.
- Carbon Fiber
- Properties: High tensile strength, high stiffness, low weight, high chemical resistance, high temperature tolerance, and low thermal expansion
- Uses: Aerospace, civil engineering, defense, performance cars, sports equipment, and more
- Properties: Heat-resistant, high tensile strength, low weight
- Uses: Defense, sports equipment, music equipment, tires, and more
- Honeycomb Cores
- Properties: Low weight, high out-of-plane compression and shear strength, high specific strength
- Uses: Aerospace, automobiles, sports equipment, packaging, and more
- Properties: Affordable, flexible, strong, formable
- Uses: Aerospace, boats, automobiles, water enclosures, roofing, piping and more
To design for manufacturability (DFM), our engineers use software to modify the ply to produce a flat pattern for a material cutting machine.
In order to manage costs with composite materials, having an optimized design is critical. Any excess material adds significant additional cost. We perform design optimization to cut unnecessary material in order to reduce weight and to minimize cost. During this process, we perform composite analysis to determine the exact strength requirements at all locations and tailor the part thickness and geometry accordingly.
Composite Design Tools
We maintain a wide range of composite design tools including the following.
- CATIA V5
- Solid Edge
- CREO Foundation
Other Engineering Services
Learn more about our a wide range of engineering services that are here to help make your project a success!
If you have a composite component in need of design or optimization or a product that could benefit from the use of composite materials then contact us today!